Rain hit me hard last Saturday! Oh and a BAKE Award!
Reports reaching me indicate Crazy Nairobian won in the best creative writing blog category in the BAKE awards (Bloggers Association of Kenya awards) held last Saturday night at the Nairobi Serena. And while that was happening, I was busy getting rained on and molested by my stomach. The rain has made me its bitch these past few days hitting me harder than Rihanna got hit by Chris Brown. And I was feeling nauseous having eaten some funny looking meat at a road side stall. The victim must have been a Nakuru dog for all I know.
It had not been the best of days having had to assist a friend who was in dire need of my help and had a tight deadline; and play Koffi Annan to a group of computer components and systems that had refused to get along with each other in a site supported by my office.
You know computer systems and components behave a lot like rival women groups. They talk to each other without issues for the longest time and just one simple mistake by one party is all it takes to ruin the prevailing peace. They stop talking to each other then each tells their friends not to talk to the other party and by extension, their friends. Before you know it, a previously working system becomes just a bunch of technological gadgets that have refused to talk to each other. Attempts to reconcile them brings insults from each side in the form of errors you cannot understand. And they chose the day I was due to attend the Gala night to weave-snatch and lift each others skirts and bring operations to a stand-still!
When it became apparent that I would not make it, I called one of my hungry friends to attend as my representative. I knew would not turn away the chance to get free food and drinks at a five star hotel. Just for the record, he is going to kill me for saying this. You should thus not be suprised if my body is found in a ditch somewhere with the award sticking out from the back entrance of the Food to Shit Industries manufacturing plant that I own. Oh, and empty condom wrappers lying around. At least so that eye witnesses can report in the news later that the body was "terribly fucked up!"
But I digress ...
I was following the awards online until my phone ran out of charge but long story short, I got information at one point that this blog had emerged the winner.
I wasnt at all excited. Not one bit.
That is if you ignore the huge smile I had on my face as I run around in the pouring rain shouting, "WOOOHOOO! I did it suckers!"
On a more serious note though, I would like to thank The Almighty God for the skills and talent. I would also want to thank the following people.
1) BAKE for organizing the event and providing a platform for recognizing talent in the Kenya blogosphere. I know it takes loads of effort, time and resources to stage such an event. Kudos guys and kudos to the sponsors as well.
2) Anyone who voted or otherwise expressed support for this blog during the entire voting process, the award gala and after the win. The many congratulatory tweets, text and calls are immensely appreciated
3) The other nominees in the category I was in for providing worthy competition. It was an honor to be in the same list as Bikozulu, Diasporadical, KenyanPoet and Kenyanmon all of who have tonnes of talent in doing literary pieces. Same goes to all nominees and winners in the other categories.
4) Anyone who has at one point or the other taken time to read, share, comment on or critic the pieces I write on this blog. It is you that has helped this blog to be among the most popular. A huge thank you to you. Oh, and haters and trolls too. At least I give you stuff to hate on.
5) And to reduce the chances of being found dead in a ditch, a huge thank you to my friend for representing me on that day. I will have a courier service deliver a Momo to your doorstep every weekend. And Enzoy!
Now it is back to blogging and pray my friend does not kill me. See you around the streets of the blogosphere!